Monday, January 22, 2007

I prefer chocolate truffles

In another example of New York Children Are Not Normal, I give you yet another article from this week's New York magazine. A kid-centric grocery store recently opened on the tony Upper East Side for time-crunched parents who don't have the wherewithal/inclination to slap something together themselves. It supplies healthy, mostly organic, pre-packaged food organized by age and serving size (appetizer/entree/dessert. Note: the first clue that New York Children Are Not Normal - or NYCANN - is the fact that they're offered appetizers), along with mini grocery carts and an ice cream/cupcake bar.

I have no problem with this whatsoever, I just don't think it'll fly - but that has nothing to do with why NYCANN. This is why:

Jake, 10 - (rating a mitten shaped hummus sandwich with the crusts cut off) "This is great since I hate crust. But the hummus could use a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt to brighten it up."

And again, Jake, 10 - (giving his overall impression) "It's pretty good, but not for a guy like me. I prefer Citarella or Dean & DeLuca. I treasure things like an aged balsamic vinegar and truffles - the mushrooms, not the chocolate."

HE'S TEN. TEN! What were you eating when you were ten? The top rockers at chez McKinney (circa 1982): Kraft macaroni and cheese, SpaghettiO's, KoolAid, and fried bologna. And I turned out JUST FINE.

3 Comments:

Blogger X said...

Just fine? Do you read your own blog?

7:12 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Nah, X is alright. He knew me as a teen and could tell some stories, I suspect...

8:39 AM  
Blogger mmcwatters said...

Jake, 30 - "Where is the world Mommy and Daddy promised me? Where are the people who cater to my whims? Why can't I meet a woman who will nurture my spirit, fulfill my desires, and provide me with an endless supply of delectable ginger infused turkey and cranapple sandwiches - sans crust, of course? Life is so unfair."

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home