Monday, January 22, 2007

Is there a prize for inner peace?

New York magazine has an interesting cover topic this week.

What Do You Do for Peace of Mind?

The author emailed a bunch of his friends and asked everyone what they do to achieve a moment of peace in their hectic lives. Needless to say, the answers varied wildly from "Watching Sunrise Earth on Discovery channel each morning at 7 a.m. on my MONSTER FKING HI DEF TV. Seriously, it's the best show on television. A slowly rising, Hi Def sunset, w.out ANY COMMENTARY, beamed directly into yr shithole little apt, direct from THE GRAND TETONS, or YELLOWSTONE, or the banks of the YANGTZE" to "Sparking a J and doing the crossword".

(I interrupt this post to mention that there's an elderly gent wandering around on his roof across the street, wearing nothing but a pair of short and slippers with socks. Which would be weird enough even if it wasn't 19 degrees outside. He doesn't look like he's going to jump so I'm not too worried. I'll keep an eye on the situation.)

Anyway, inner peace. It got me thinking about what I do to soothe my savage, cranky beastie. I realized I actually do a fair amount to keep him appeased (why hello there, Banana Republic sale rack), but since I'm only allowed one activity, so here's my quote:

"A pot of tea, an almond croissant and some journal writing, preferably somewhere slightly foreign and/or pretentious. Bonus points if filled with good-looking, interesting people for optimum jealously-induced mocking."

I'm curious what you guys do. ("An hour and a half of Ashtanga yoga every morning at 5:45" anyone? Anyone?)

1 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

YOU GET UP AT 6 AM! Wha-?

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home