Saturday, September 03, 2005

Free plug

Hidden the upper floor of the Signs Of Life Christian bookstore in Lawrence, KS is one of my favorite galleries. The owner has a great eye for up-and-coming Kansan artists and he does a great job putting pieces together. The prices are relatively reasonable (for original works, at least) and most of the artists are spectacular. (It's worth visiting to check out the gorgeous loft space he's created. It kills me a little not to live there.) My favorite artist is a young woman named Heather Smith Jones. I'm saving up to buy something of hers, but if anyone's at a loss for what to get me this Christmas (and want to go in on something together - I won't mind!) pick any one of her pieces and I'll be happy. (I'm particularly fond of "To End A Drought" and "More Than Gold".)

www.signsoflifegallery.com

She has a show up now, "Unfolding", which isn't my favorite. Scroll down to her last show, "SIGNS OF WONDERING AND KNOWING". (While you're artist hunting, google "Rodney Troth", "Holland Berkley", and "Kim Casebeer" for some of my other favorites. )

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan G said...

I'll see your plug and raise you another plug. Heather Smith Jones was a 2003 artist-in-residence at Hall Farm, one of the many non-profit organizations that suffer any time a natural disaster strikes, thereby diverting all donations to the Red Cross. I'm not saying that the Red Cross and disaster relief isn't worthy, but let's not forget all the other non-profits, such as one that fosters the career of Alisha's favorite artist, Heather Smith Jones.

And Alisha, my mom went to the opening and hung out with Heather.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Can she get me a discount?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Dan G said...

She's a struggling artist, for crying out loud! What the hell is the matter with you?

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home