Thursday, June 09, 2005

Bite my ass, Unemployment representative. Bite it.

Yeah, I'm so busy banging my head against a wall over battles with the Unemployment office that posting would be nothing more than mind-numbing rants against the system. A system so Byzantine even their own employees can't keep the rules straight, so how the hell I'm expected to... GOAUREOQWUROWEROUI! (yes, that was frustration typing.) I was actually yelled at - YELLED AT! - by a representative. Okay, now I have to vent: I'm in a MS Word class so that I can get a real job and not have to schlep food for the rest of my days. This class takes place MWF nights - 3 nights a week, 3 hours a night, for 6 weeks. Now you would think that job training - something that the unemployment folks keep screeching about needing - would be rewarded. Not so much. What it means is:

- If catering calls and I have class, I "turned down a job offer". They will then stop my claim, launch an investigation.
- If catering doesn't call, it doesn't matter because I was "unavailable for work" those 3 days which renders me ineligable for benefits that week.
- Because classes are at night, that means I was available for work during the day - regardless of the fact that is evening work. If classes had been during the day, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Basically, for the next 6 weeks, I'm screwed. This is the slow season in catering (which is why I took this class) so there's very little work on the other days.

I'm gonna be eating dog food.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I love government bueracracy. (I know I spelled that incorrectly)I was on unemployment for a while when Parkview closed down, and of course you have to show that you are applying for jobs and whatnot. Some weeks when there was nothing to apply for I would entertain myself by submitting resumes for positions I had NO CHANCE of getting. Hang in there. Hopefully the end result will be worthwhile. Steady Employment.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Missy. Just apply for jobs you can't possibly qualify for when there's nothing else out there. I did the same thing years ago when I was living near Nebraska City -- not exactly a booming metropolis with fantastic job opportunities. You need to learn how to feed the BS back to the ones who feed it to you.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Yeah, we actors are good at all that. The "job search" isn't a problem - it's the fact that you get punished for taking job training courses! I understand their point - why should they pay you if you were offered a job? - but they don't look at the bigger picture. I'll continue to stay on unemployment if they don't allow me to acquire skills to move on. They actually have a woman at Actors Equity whose full-time job is to help actors deal with the Unemployment office. FULL-TIME JOB!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Dan G said...

Why don't you try to get her job? Sounds like a blast.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

In a world where arbitrary rules are applied to non-arbitrary people, this will always be the case. I know this statement doesn't really help you, but it's true.

Here's a statement that will help you: She probably yelled at you because she has a miserable life where she has to be the enforcer of a system of rules that never makes anyone happy and one that she knows is not fair. She had to take that out on someone, and she is sick of being blamed for the crappy system she has to enforce, so guess who gets the outburst? The person she knows she's letting down in the first place.

I love corporate human interaction, don't you?

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home