Friday, March 30, 2007

It's Friday! Friday-Friday-Friday! And I think it just might be time for another round of

Things Alisha Loves!

- Pinkberry frozen yogurt

My friend Stef turned me on to this stuff and now I can't go a week without it, goddammit. It's frozen yogurt, but it's not the sicky sweet TCBY-crap you're used to. It's actual yogurt (whoa!) which means it's tangy and not very sweet which may sound like a milky bowl of nasty, but trust me, it's good. But what really makes it are the toppings, which range from chopped mango (just mango, no goopy syrup) and blackberries to Cap'n Crunch and - if you're in the know - sweetened sticky rice. My favorite combo is Stef's: a medium plain with blueberries, mangos, and mini chocolate chips (again, sounds gross, so good) but I can only get that if I'm sharing it, and I'm never sharing it, so my usual treat is a small with mangos. And for those who care about such things, it's only 3 points. (2, if I'm counting it.)

- Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom

Yeah, yeah, you've read all about this stuff. I'm so not the one breaking the news on this product but really, I have to gush. It's got super hold while keeping your hair incredibly soft. I'm always on the lookout for curl-enhancers and over the years I've gone through my fair share (Frizz Ease, you can bite me) but this stuff never fails. But there's a secret (a stylist on a shoot taught me). You can't just put it in your hair willy-nilly and expect perfection. Here's the drill*: after you've showered and lightly towel dried your hair, take a glob of the creme and run it through your hair, top to tip, coating it. (Don't go crazy - it's not mayo - but don't be too stingy either.) Then take a small section of hair, wrap it around your finger like a curling iron, hold for a second, then release. Repeat wherever you want curls. Then either blow dry with a diffuser (being sure to move the hair as little as possible. I cup my hair in my hands and hold the drier still. Moving the drier causes frizz) or let dry naturally (my usual choice because I'm lazy). It works like gangbusters. *Please note, if you have super-fine/oily hair, this might not be the best product for you.

- Banana Republic's Flutter Sleeve Dress
I just bought this baby in beige and ooooh it's a winner.

- Edy's Slow Churned low-fat ice cream
A small bowl of the cookie dough flavor blanketed with some Dove dark chocolate fudge topping and an episode of Adoption Stories... Yeah.

- Adoption Stories
While I wouldn't call this show a guilty pleasure (it's on Discovery Health channel, after all), there's something about it that makes me feel a touch cringy. Maybe it's the the tinkly background music or the constant soft focus or diaper-ad voiceover they use. Truth be told, I rarely watch the whole thing (all I really care about is finding out is why they couldn't get pregnant. Once they've got the kid, whatevs) but if it's on, I cannot not watch it.

- Etsy.com
I found this through my other fave website, She's A Betty, and while I've never actually bought anything from it, it's clearly pretty awesome. It's a website for all things handmade and let me tell you, some of the people are incredible. Pollard, Shermie, if you're still reading this, get your stuff on there pronto.

- Luckyscents
While I enjoy a jaunt to Sephora every now and again, the overwhelming perfumy scent drives me to distraction. Which is why I'm glad a good friend turned me on to this site. They have all kinds of amazing sounding scents (whoever writes their descriptions deserves a book deal, right after I give one to the person behind the J. Peterman Catalog) and the best part? You can order samples! I'm considering ordering up this one and maybe this one...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I thought you might be interested to know that the creative mind behind the J. Peterman concept actually lives in NYC. (Where else?) He has a brilliant mind. He was my mentor for many years and I will never forget so much of what he taught me. The catalog was originally written by a small, select group of in-house and freelance writers, including myself. It was the best job ever. (Especially when Seinfeld incorporated it into their sitcom.) Today's reincarnation of the original catalog is nice to see. After the original company went bankrupt due to bad business decisions, most of the original employees moved on to new endeavors. I spent 10 wonderful wild, and wacky years there and should probably write the "inside story" on the company some day. It was fascinating, fun, and frustrating. I love your "Sour Grapes in the Big Apple" slogan. Words are wonderful. When sewn together correctly they create a beautiful quilt that you never mind snuggling into. Take care and best wishes on your blog.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

HOLY CRAP! Is that the best shout-out ever or what? Anonymous, please keep in touch. I would love to know where you former catalog writers are now.

12:33 AM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

I live for that Kiehl's stuff! I use it everyday, and it's one of the few products that I can use consistently to get my (relatively fine) hair to do what I want it to do!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home