Monday, March 26, 2007

If it's brown FLUSH IT DOWN.


(Sorry for the nonexitant posts. I've been battling a stupid cough that won't let me sleep so I've been running on low batteries for the past several days.)

Firstly, I'd just like to take a moment to congratulate Max Crumm, winner of Grease! You're the One That I Want! I still won't be buying tickets to your show, but I'm proud of you nonetheless. And while I feel that I had a small hand in your victory, there's no need to repay me. I'm just happy knowing that for once, the "wrong" guy got the part. No need to repay at all.

Unless you want to repay me. Because if you wanted to repay me for my impressive dialing skills, the ones that helped you achieve your dream of starring on Broadway for at least a month (rumor has it that's all they're giving the winners - a month contract - but I've had no verification on that), I wouldn't refuse you. Say, for example, you wanted to thank me with shelves from the Container Store. That would be the perfect way to say thank you. Personal yet useful, not too expensive or showy - sort of like you, Max!

I need shelves from the Container Store.

I love what Blueprint did with them. (That's them above.) The picture on the right (the blue side) was from a teeeeny apartment here in the city. They put them floor to ceiling in the living room and kitchen and used them in place of a dresser. I'm desperate to do this in our bedroom. Just think of it - all my craft and office supplies on shelves! Instead of the floor! It would be heaven, I tell you.

In other news, I've recently become something of an environmental - I don't want to say "zealot" because that would imply that I'm actually doing something of actual consequence - let's just say "aid-er". I recycle everything I can get my hands on, eat locally and/or organically and use those flourescent bulbs Gore told me about, but after listening to a story on NPR about how the honeybees are disappearing (not dying - DISAPPEARING. Nobody knows what's going on. It's a huge problem for citrus and almond growers because honeybees pollinate their trees and if the honeybees are gone, there won't be any fruit. Which feels like the beginning of big ol' batch of badness, if you ask me) I feel like I need to do more. Maybe it's from growing up in the 70's, all those "Don't Waste Water" campaigns, but I've always been antsy about conserving water. I shut off the faucet when I brush my teeth and recycle water for the plants and cats, but our toilet is a monster. For those who've never used our bathroom, flushing at Chez McCody feels like you're taking your life in your hands. The force of the flush is unreal - I swear it's trying suck you in. But my main concern is the amount of water it's using with each flush. Matt keeps pointing out that we're not in a drought, but I say it's still wrong to waste it. Right? (Where's Gore when you need him?)

So the other day I proposed something radical: If it's yellow, let it mellow.

Needless to say, it did not go over well.

Let me point out that I do not relish the idea! Discovering a bunch of yellow water in my toilet really nasts me out, truth be told, but as someone who pees nonstop I feel it is my duty to the planet to take some action. (Don't worry, I wouldn't do it when we have company. I'm not that committed.)

Unfortunately Matt put his foot down on this one. We don't normally have tiffs, but we might have gone a few rounds over this one. He thinks it's just too gross and can't do it. I think that he being a tiny bit selfish. He pointed out that he willingly does everything else, including reusing the plastic bags from grocery delivery as grocery bags, even though it annoys the crap out of him. I say... actually I backed down at that point. But I was pretty pissy about it.

Where do you all stand on this hot topic? If it's yellow, do you let it mellow?

5 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Now it pains me not to have your back on this one Ali, cuz you know I am usually on your side. I admire your committmemt to the environment and only wish that I were even half as committed. However...I can not get down with not flushing the toilet after each use. It is a total germ thing for me. A smell thing too. I have worked with children too long and they are well known for the refusal to flush and let me tell you even though those bathrooms are clean they SMELL. BAD. Have you thought about going down and speaking with someone at your local hardware store about remedies to reduce the amount of water used in your toilet? I know they make toilets that use less water too. Have you done the research about toilet use and water conservation? I will agree with you on the point that water needs to be conserved drought or no drought, but I gotta draw the line at mello yellow.

2:57 PM  
Blogger X said...

Simple trick to conserve water: Put a brick in the toilet tank. The brick displaces the water, meaning there's less of it to refill the bowl when you flush.


And I assume (just for the sake of argument) that in addition to the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" rule you were also advocating for the caveat "if it's brown, flush it down," right?

8:41 PM  
Blogger X said...

Oh crap. Didn't even read the title of your post. Shit.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is true - your toilet has a jet engine in the tank. A first-time flush can be frightening! However, I'm not convinced that your toilet is using more water than a "normal" toilet. I think it just has a lot more power and noise than most pots. I'm going to have to vote with Missy - leaving the pee in the pot to brew is probably asking for a bacterial and stink "perfect storm".

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One word: Ew.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home