Monday, March 19, 2007

Seriously, who would you rather see win?




Last night I did something I swore I'd never do. I voted for a contestant on a reality show. And not just any reality show:

"Grease! You're the One That I Want!"

I know, I KNOW. I said they wouldn't suck me in! And they did it anyway! It's like some sort of freaky mind control! (This is why I don't investigate Scientology.) But really, I had to do it. It's between Austin, the hot former soap stud who annoys the shit out of me, and Max, the geeky guy who'd never have a shot in hell at this part - but he's leagues more talented. I feel like it's my duty, nay, my obligation, to help the geek out in any way I can. And if my phone call (okay, calls. Okay, numerous calls) can help, than by God I will have done something with my life.

Say, do you think is this why these shows are so popular? Do most Americans (and by "most Americans" I think I mean "me") have so little going on altruistically that the way we feel like better people is by voting for a contestant on a game show, thereby helping someone else achieve their dream?

Which leads me to Knowledge Nugget #11:
Just because I'm shallow, doesn't make me selfish. I mean, just because I'm selfish, doesn't mean I'm not shallow. Wait... Just because I'm selfish and shallow, doesn't mean I'm not self-aware? Er, JUST BECAUSE I'M SELFISH AND SHALLOW AND SELF-AWARE, DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T WANT MAX TO WIN!

1 Comments:

Blogger X said...

There was a report somewhere (probably NPR) that talked about why shows such as American Idol were so popular. The "expert" said that one powerful reason was that we love stories of success, and if - in some way - we can help be responsible for that success, we feel compelled to do it.

From a marketing point of view, the motives become darker. Once the winner is selected, the voters will continue to feel the desire to be a part of the story. In the case of American Idol, it's buying the CD. And come on, be truthful: if your boy wins the contest, how badly are you going to want to buy outrageously priced tickets to see him?

So really, it comes down to a power trip. By giving you a measure of power in selecting the winner, you get the satisfaction of becoming part of a success story. But by exercising that power, you lose the power to quit the story, which is exactly what the progammers and the advertisers want.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home