Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Bye-bye Doc Martins... I'll miss you.


Firstly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY NADIA!

(And a belated - but no less sincere - HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Kate and Keeley!)

I spent a lovely Sunday with Baldman and the Missus (that'd be an awesome name for a band) scarfing pancakes and talking smack. (Actually there was very little smack talk, but I'm sure Dan said something vaguely insulting at some point.) Man, I can murder a stack of buttermilks. When the waiter put the platter (!) down in front of me I was all like, "No, no! I couldn't possibly eat all of this!" (We all know where this is going, right? Which is why I'll be returning to Weight Watchers.)

After that I popped downtown to meet my friend Chintamani. We always end up on the Lower East Side at this coffeehouse/bar called the Lotus Club. It's all dark wood and indie rock and hipsters, which used to really get me off. I would spend hours fantasizing about being able to pull of stripey tights and a beret while sipping coffee out of a stained mug. Now all the laptop toting, faux bed-head having twenty-somethings seem... not like dumbasses, but not not like dumbasses. (Don't get me started on the creepy forty-somethings hanging around. Ick times ten, dude.) I'm sure they all have very interesting art exhibits and sex lives but I just don't find them compelling anymore. Which leads me to Knowledge Nugget #4:
I am too old for the East Village. Or anyplace where "hipsters" gather. (That includes you, college towns.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One is never too old for a college town. It's just that as we age, we may not blend in as well in the college crowds. By the way, love the daily birthday bytes!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

But I haven't had my doc martens yet. Is it too late for me?

I've been meaning to for the last lkju:) years but I just haven't gotten around to it.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home