Saturday, August 12, 2006

My inner Wintour is so displeased.

I've started doing that thing I swore I was never going to do. The thing that is the symbol of old biddies, cheap ass penny-pinchers and survivors of the depression world 'round. The thing that, when you were a child and saw this hanging from your grandma's kitchen faucet, you promised yourself right then and there you would never, ever, ever do.

That's right, friends. I am washing and reusing plastic Ziploc bags.

Oh I know how this makes me look. This soooo goes against my carefully crafted "Devil may care" attempt at urban sophistication. Hell, this goes against my hastily squelched, "Bobo's and strip malls" core of Midwestern pluck. But as someone who goes through Ziplocs with abandon, once I realized that drying them is totally easy and that they're totally reusable, I couldn't not do it. They're not biodegradable so I'm doing a small part to save the planet AND saving myself money! (Okay, dimes. I'm probably saving myself dimes. Whatevs.)

I'll still hide them if you come over though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Yeah, it gets that "please, just let me go" look to it. For the most part I just use it to carry bread or pita chips so that little baggie can last awhile. (I use those Glad tupperware thingies to carry everything else.) I've also started buying the big things of yogurt and filling an old, small yogurt container. Then I wash it out and refill it the next day. The writing starts to come off and it looks totally ratty, but it's better than using (and buying) a new yogurt cup every day.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

You remind me of my great-grandmother. She would wash, dry and fold paper towels so that they could be re-used. She and my great-grandfather also had a shed where they stored piles upon PILES of styrofoam meat trays. Also they had a closet filled with toilet paper. Every time we would visit, we always offered to go to the store for them (as they were elderly and my great-grandfather had polio as a child which left him with some slight paralysis in one leg,) and every time we had to buy toilet paper despite the fact that they had enough to TP the house about 30 times.

When you start doing those kind of things, then I will worry. For now I say knock yourself out.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I read somewhere you can wash certain kinds of baby wipes in the washer. And it's true! I've found some that got in the washer accidentally and it was fine.

Hmm... I should see if our current kind will work, we were doing the baby bidets in the bathtub for a while so didn't use many wipes but now we go through so many, and the boys poop more than once a day now, and... oh sorry not my blog...

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home