Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I put this out to my peeps.

So here's a question. Say you're at an audition and you run into this guy you vaguely know from years past. He was someone who worked at the regional theater where you went to college and because you were an obnoxious self-promoter, you felt the need to engratiate yourself with every actor that came to town. (And no, "engratiate" is not code for "date".) When you first moved to New York you had coffee with him because you didn't know anyone and over the years you've run into him a handful of times at auditions. He's a nice enough guy so you're always perfectly happy to chat. But today you get an email from him. Perfectly nice email. "Good to run into you again", "I'd love to get together and catch up", "I'm often in Midtown, maybe we can get a drink". Normally you wouldn't think twice about it but boy, you sure wish he would clarify his definition of "drink". Are we talking "I know you're married and by the way, I have a spectacular girlfriend myself" drink? Or a "This is going to get real awkward real quick" drink? He's always seemed a little flirty and somewhat space-invasive (BUT NICE. Perfectly nice.) but maybe you're just being paranoid.

So how do you respond to the email?

6 Comments:

Blogger ktbuffy said...

Hmmm... I think you casually mention the husband in your reply, say the next week or so (or few weeks, whatever) are a little busy, but you'd be interested in catching up, and see what happens.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Set up a time, if you really want to hang with him, and have Matt come with you even if you don't say anything about it.

You could say the vacuum broke so the househusband didn't have anything else to do. Make it very caj.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is "engratiate" code for "my spellcheck is broken"?

6:12 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I hate you, Schoolmarm.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suggest a "double date" -- you and Matt meet for a drink with him and his significant other. Or just ignore the email altogether. (I noticed "engratiate", too, but I wasn't going to nitpick...)

12:35 PM  
Blogger Dan G said...

Why is no one asking the obvious question? Is he hot?

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home