Thursday, August 10, 2006

Holla!

A quick shout-out to my homies at Edy's. Their new low-fat Slow Churned ice cream is awesome. I refuse to read the ingredients because I know it has all the crap in it that I insist I don't eat (partially hydrogenated oils, corn syrup) but duh-damn if it isn't tasty.

I also want to give a holla to the peeps at Horizon Organic for coming up with a yogurt container that is recyclable, and to the fellas over at Brown Cow yogurt and Stoneyfield Farm for acknowledging that their cartons are not. (But if you send them your clean, empty containers they'll reuse them. I'm down with that.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

So i read somewhere (wiki?) that partially hydrogenated oils are not trans fats. Only fully hydrogenated. I was wondering because I've seen packaging that says "0 trans fats" but has part.hyd.oil. (too long to type that out)

They could have been lying.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Oh and Horizon is not really truly organic. There's some thing online about how they aren't kind to their cows, or gather milk from uncertified places, or something. I got an email from a friend I'll send it to you if I still have it.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I've suspected that about Horizon for awhile which is why I don't use them. There's been a lot of debate about large organic farms vs. small, non-organic local farms and because of it I've started to buy from the smaller farmers. I'm lucky though and can go to the Greenmarket and talk to the farmer from Ronnybrook Farms and listen to him talk about his "mischevious cows" and discuss his pasture. If you happen to know someone who owns a dairy and treats their cows well and lets them eat grass instead of a steady diet of corn, then organic or not, perhaps that the way to go. (As not as they're not being treated with rbt growth hormones, which is a topic for another day).

And from what I can tell, anything hydrogenated - partially or not - is crap.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home