Tuesday, August 29, 2006

(Boys, avert your eyes.)

I love going to the girl doctor. Love it. I especially love the speculum. I swear to Christmas, no matter how many times I do it, no matter how deeply I breathe or loudly I hum or how much they "warm" it up for me, having a duck-billed metal contraption stuck inside your twat (then OPENED! OPENED!) always feels vaguely prison camp.

But tomorrow. tomorrow's gonna suck. Tomorrow I get to go have a sonogram. And not just one - two! One done from the outside and one done ... somewhere more invasive, if you catch my drift. Still, sticking a electrode up my lady parts, while not my definition of a good time, doesn't faze me nearly as what I have to do beforehand.

I have to consume five glasses of water.

And hold it.

This, my friends, is a trick akin to Houdini and the chains. To David Blaine and that ridiculous box over London. To Copperfield landing Claudia Schiffer. Because as we all know, I can't not pee. It's a physical impossibility. I pee like people breathe. To steal a quote, "The only time I don't have to pee is when I'm peeing". Seriously, I should get T-shirts printed. They know not what they ask when they ask me to consume that much liquid. My husband and I almost came to blows when he banned coffee from our honeymoon. (Apparently I was impeding our progress across Ireland. Whatevs.)

I have a feeling this is going to get really ugly, really fast.

Alls I have to say is, I hope I don't elecrocute myself during the process.

4 Comments:

Blogger ktbuffy said...

Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man. Good luck. The best advice I can give is maybe go pee, then drink your five glasses of water RIGHT before your appointment. Or four, with the last one sitting in the waiting room, so you don't sit there just thinking about peeing.

Which you'll probably be doing anyways.

Hope everything works out ok and you don't electrocute anyone!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Yeesh. When I was pregnant with #2 I of course had a sonogram and had to drink a lot of water beforehand. They got really behind and I am DYING, so the sonographer comes out and says, "well, just go pee a little to let the pressure off."
Riiggghht. Once started it was all systems go and no holding back. So I had to drink little tiny glasses of water from the cooler in the waiting room until they got me back there. All was fine and they saw what they needed to see.

Hope everything comes out ok.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Turns out I need to hold off on ridiculous medical procedures for a bit due to... er... MY PERIOD. (I was trying to find a delicate way to put it but it's too damn early.) So today yI am free to pee with glee! (And the sonogram stuff isn't due to anything major. Just checking stuff out.)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Probably the first time you've been glad for the monthly visitor, eh?

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home