Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I want my own museum.

I worked a VIP dinner last night at a famous auction house. They threw this bash for their very top buyers in an attempt to get them jazzed about these... sculptures? I guess they were sculptures. They looked more like plain ol' cabinets to me - granted, stratospherically priced plain ol' cabinets. I'm sure they were incredibly difficult to make or have some huge artful meaning or something ("He was the first artist to use the space inside the art as part of the art!") because, like all things pretentious, they were going for buttloads of money. One older gentleman asked me which one I was planning on bidding. Luckily I stopped myself before cliche-ing something along the lines of "I could do that!" Because, let's be frank, I couldn't do that. IKEA, however, sure could.

A supermodel was there. (I'm not saying who she was... Was she once married to Axl Rose? Maybe. But again, not saying.) She's now married to somewhat less attractive but no doubt enormously well endowed (financially, at least) art collector. Rumor has it, their collection rivals a museum. She looked good, even though she was wearing a very unforgiving skirt. It was full-length black leather (clearly no friend to PETA; she also ate the veal) and skin tight. You know a skirt is too damn tight when a supermodel wears it and you think "If she'd just lose 3 pounds..." And yes, she cleaned her plate - although she did disappear during dessert. I have my thoughts on that, but I'll keep them to myself.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't she married to some media mogul now?
And seriously, Ali, what were you doing posting this at 5:57 am?

1:56 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Hmmm... clearly the blogger clock is wrong because there ain't no WAY I was up at that time. I loves the blogging, but not that much.

10:37 PM  
Blogger earlyadopter said...

Maybe Donald Judd? I love Donald Judd, i even think his work is really beautiful in its own subtle way.... in other words, i'm a wierdo. His work is really important if you care about the history of certain ideas in modern art, and if you don't happen to care about that, then i guess its pretty boring. The skill is in the craftsmanship and originality of the ideas and how he carries them through to thier logical conclusions, not in the boxes themselves.... Oh no.... No! I can't believe it! Its.... ALI! HE's thinking OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

See? This is why I have a blog so that people like Jay who went to freaking grad school for this can fill me in! Not that I'll love Judd's stuff more but at least now I can understand why other people do. And I reluctantly admit that some of his stuff was pretty cool. And some of it was IKEA.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home