Monday, April 03, 2006

Maybe I should've paced...

I went out for an industrial for a mental illness medication the other day. They actually faxed the sides over ahead of time which is unheard of. Once I got them I understood why - it was a full on monologue. The character was described as an actress, 35. ("She's pacing, with large theatrical arm gestures. Something is definitely off." Which describes almost every musical theater actress I know.)

At first I was all offended that I was being sent out for the mid-thirties character (versus the dewy skinned but unfortunately schitzophrenic 22-year-old) but then I caught sight of the dreaded "elbow droop" and had to accept the truth. (You can Botox and exercise all you want but nothing gives away your age like that tell-tale flap of skin.) The casting director was a sweet fella but seemed to have as much invested in his job as I do in dentistry.

"Oooookay, remember that she is REAL so just make it very conversational. Like you're talking to your therapist."

"While pacing with large, theatrical arm gestures?" I helpfully smart assed.

"Mmm, yes."

The writer and producer were there, seated behind two enormous cue cards. They told me the same thing as casting dude; conversational but crazy. But not too crazy. (But a little crazy.) Righty. So I started. I skipped the pacing part and just concentrated on the crazy. It was kind of fun, allowing myself to be as uninhibited as I absolutely can't in most theatrical auditions. They kept stopping me to tweak things; a little faster here, not so big here. It went well. They even checked if I was free on the shoot dates - always a good sign. (The producer actually asked if I was certain that I wasn't going to book something recurring, referring to the SVU appearance on my resume. Uh, yeah, I'm sure.)

Got the call a few days ago - I'm on hold. It's not a booking, but my agent said it looked pretty likely.

Which means there's no way in hell I'm getting it.

(*UPDATE - I didn't get it.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Ted Carter said...

Close is better than not a snowball's chance in Hell, though, isn't it?

I mean, not better on the resume or in the pocket book, but spiritually, of course.

10:10 AM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Awwww... I wanna know how long it took for you to say there was no way you were going to get it to you actually not getting it. Just out of curiosity.

Because in my book, you play crazy like nobody's business!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

I was put on hold last Thursday. As of now I still haven't heard anything which could be construed as being still in the running - except that it shoots Thursday. If they haven't called by now...

Yeah, Girl Interrupted would've been a hell of a lot better with me in it instead of Winona. What the hell happened to her career, anyhow?

10:27 PM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

She stole stuff.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home