Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I just saw The 40 Year Old Virgin. Steve Carell is hot.

My birthday's neigh and it makes me feel a little odd. I'll be 34. Yes, I'm man enough to admit it. In fact, I don't understand this whole aging-down bit. Actors are especially notorious - I can't count the number of times people've told me their ages and my first thought has been, "Damn girl, you look terrible for 22!" (Full disclosure, I lied about my age in LA. But I had to in order to enter the city limits.) I think this birthday I'm going to buck the trend and start aging UP. Now when I tell people my age (41) they're gonna think, "Damn girl, you looks fine!" (And that's exactly how they're going to say it too.)

Now what to do for my birthday - my 41st! - is another question. I thought about doing a quiet shindig at home but then I realized I'd have to clean and we don't want that. I'm also thinking about having it at my favorite Mexican restaurant. That's right - home of "El Machino" itself - CHEVY'S! That would so rock. So rock.

10 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Will you get to wear a ridiculously large sombrero? It just isn't a birthday at a Mexican restaurant if you don't get to wear a ridiculously large sombrero.
I like to wear mine around the house so EVERY DAY is like a birthday.

9:31 AM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

You are, of course, also welcome to join in the giant festivity we call "Night of a Thousand Birthdays." Or, you know, three. Four, maybe, if the guy who used to be drunk shows up.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

She's not lying; I've seen her. Her hubby keeps telling her that wearing it in the shower is counterproductive, but we know Missy; once she gets an idea in her head...

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should get yourself some Vitamin C if your birthday is neigh: you're a little horse.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

It's just a hunch, Missy, and while I'm not saying that someone (who may or may not be in your household) looooves to correct my wordage, it appears that SOMEONE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD LOOOOOVES TO CORRECT MY WORDAGE.

Teacher smeacher. I MEANT to use that word!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I didn't even rat him out this time. Don't ever get him started on when you use Lie versus Lay. It can make a person crazy I tell you. C-R-A-Z-Y.

Good thing he is so damn funny. And cute.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Okay, I'm with him on that whole "lie"/"lay" quandry. Prof, help me out with that one.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The verb _lie_, in this sense, is intransitive and means "to recline": "I'm going to lie on my bed and pet my persian while watching John Corbett on TV," Lola announced.

The past tense of _lie_ is _lay_: "The chess player lay on his bed, happily waxing his bishop."

The verb _lay_ is transitive and means "to place": "I'm just laying Alanis Morissette," Peter said, "'s CD on the counter."

The past tense of _lay_ is _laid_: "I knew professional wrestler Chyna was strong, but I was really surprised when she picked me up and laid me on top of the hot dog stand."

11:46 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

No wonder you're the most popular teacher in school...

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget the problems with bring/take, I/me, he/him, she/her, etc. It's amazing how many EDUCATED people have trouble with the English language. There are certain grammatical errors that actually hurt my ears! (By the way, "perfesser", if I were in your English class, I'd love learning even more because of your sense of humor.)

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home