Thursday, February 09, 2006

Dan and Suz, you may be sitting in tufts of cat hair Friday.

Sorry the posting has been a little scattershot. Schedule, blah-blah, schedule. Cleaning, blah-blah, schedule.

Last night I worked an event for Hollywould, the curiously monikered shoe designer favored by starlets and (apparently) lower-level US weekly employees. There were models, there were shoes. (Cute shoes. Shoes I find physically impossible to wear.) I had some time to kill before work so I wandered into Banana Republic to stalk the sale rack and found a gorgeous midnight blue silk kimono dress marked down from $168 to $27.99. I will probably never wear this dress. It doesn't fit. (It currently resembles a bathrobe. But that's what tailors are for.) Nor do I have the life that accompanies such a dress. (Toddlers tend to throw food.) But it was $27.99. That's like, a billion percent off.

So I'm sitting in the coat check oogling the crowd and what do I see? Starlet (well, starlet-ish) wearing my new dress. Now I don't know much about much, but I guaran-damn-tee that she didn't pay no $27.99!

Victory, she is sweet.

Here's the thing - my tailor is Asian, as all tailors in this town are. The dress is a kimono. I feel sort of funny waltzing in, little fuzzy headed white girl, asking the Asian woman to make me look... Asian. Is that offensive?

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted Carter said...

Nothing offensive at all; you are showing her you appreciate her culture's traditional clothing. Plus, if you tell her you got it for less than $30, she won't have a choice but to be impressed.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it will be fine as long as you point out that it was created, not with Asian sweatshop labor, but probably with sweatshop labor from some banana republic. That should win them over.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious... what does the kimono have to do with Dan and Suz and tufts of cat hair?

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home