Friday, September 15, 2006

Just don't tell me I have to give up soy.

I was walking through Central Park the other day when I noticed something crunching beneath my feet... AND IT WASN'T THE BONES OF JIMMY HOFFA! (Although wouldn't it have been awesome if it were? Damn.) No, peeps, it was leaves. Leaves. The leaves? They're falling. Wasn't it just summer, like, recently? Don't get me wrong, I love me some fall. Love it. Got married in it! But I can't help but get a little twitchy knowing that within minutes (MINUTES) winter's nasty, graspy hand will... be... uh...

Wait. I already wrote this post didn't I?

Goddammit.

See, this is what happens when you stop sugar. That's right, I am no longer eating sugar. This makes, what, the fifth time I've stopped eating sugar this year? Anyway, yes, stopped eating sugar. Aside from the sugar in my plain soymilk (WHO KNOW IT HAD SUGAR IN IT?! IT'S "PLAIN" FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!) and in the spoonful of jam I use to sweeten my plain (by this they mean unsweetened. See? Confusing.) yogurt, I have not had sugar of any kind for five days. No honey, no molasses, not even ketchup. (Read the ingredients.) Why, you ask, would I inflict this terrible, terrible thing upon myself?

Boys, stop reading.

Yeast infections.

I get them like crazy and nothing - not acidopholis, not Diflucan, not yogurt, not nothing - will get rid of them. I read that sugar is a leading cause of yeast infections (that, and stress. Please. I LIVE on sugar and stress) so I'm trying to cut the source. I'm also trying to eliminate yeast from my diet which is... I mean, come on. Find me a bread that doesn't contain yeast. I'm also supposed to eliminate alcohol (BITCH, PLEASE!) and caffeine. (Yes I know that I had successfully eliminated caffeine from my diet. But that was until I decided to eliminate sugar. But I'm only having one cup of tea a day and if one cup of tea is a crime...)

Thankfully I discovered a little box of deliciousness in the health food store called Barbara's Fig Bars. (I get the wheat-free kind because, hey, why not?) See, I have a thing for chewy. Caramel, Twizzlers Pull 'n Peels, fresh baked cookies - these are the stuff of which dreams are made. And these cookies (excuse me, "fig bars") are heaven. Very sweet (fruit juice only) and super-soft, like underbaked brownies. I can eat the hell out of a box of these things. Unfortunately, at 60 calories per, they are not Weight Watchers approved. (That may not sound like much until you eat eight of them.) Now they're not for everyone - Matt insists that regular Fig Newtons are better, but this is also the man who used to eat all of his mom's diet food because he liked the chemical taste, so there you go - but if you're watching your refined sugar intake (and Splenda scares you, as well it should) you might give these a go.

(I have to find a way to get paid for this stuff. Fig Bar Barbara? I work cheap.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I wish you much luck. I for one have a horrendous sugar intake problem. I need AA for sugar addicts. For real.

12:16 AM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

PLease don't scare me off Splenda. I finally switched away from three heaping teaspoons of sugar in my tea in favor of Splenda. I need me some sweet stuff!!

Alos, because I can share with you, today I totally wasted 3 points on a York Peppermint Patty. And it was good!

1:19 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

I've been using stevia in my tea and it works pretty well. It's a chinese root that's, like, 500 times sweeter than sugar - you can get it at any health food store. It's recommended by doctors for diabetics because it regulates your blood sugar instead of giving you some crazy high-low. I get these packets called Stevia Plus. Don't use too much or it'll get bitter, but a packet in my tea works just as well as sugar.

Yeah, sugar. It's a bitch.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I completely admire you guys for sticking with the WW points thingy. I tried it for about two weeks and had to stop because I was frightened of the obsessive qualities I had taken on while trying to count points. I learned that I CAN go to the crazy place, and that perhaps the points method wasn't for me.
So I wonder how do you keep from being obsessed by it?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nah, you EMBRACE the crazy.

Comforting fact: the crazy fades after awhile, because it's not particular interesting-crazy.

Eventually, you (1) learn to pay attention to what and how much you're eating every day, which is really the whole (heh) point and (2) get a really really good idea of what 'enough' and 'too much' looks like on a day to day basis, even without checking points, and you just don't have to do it anymore, except for maybe a couple weeks every six months or so to see if you're being lazy and not noticing stuff.

Also: My understand that sugar usually causes problems of that nature when it's... umm... misapplied.

You know? Whip cream should really have a sign on the can that says 'for external use only.'

I'm just saying.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Also: look! typos! :P

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home