Thursday, September 15, 2005

It's all about the accessories

The importance of fashion in this city cannot be underestimated. Yesterday while standing in line at Food Emporium I watched the woman ahead of me get turned away for insufficient funds. She was using a food stamp card to buy a loaf of generic bread that cost $1.19 but she didn't have enough money to cover it. It broke my heart - hey, we've all been there - and I was about to lend her the $2 until I noticed that she was carrying a Coach handbag.

Over the weekend I was nosing around our local block sale, sifting through a cute little Asian girl's clothing pile when a woman in a full burqa (you know, the black shroud-like thing worn by Muslim women) came up to the table. She was completely enveloped - all I could see were her eyes (which is super creepy, by the way) - but she immediately picked up a bright pink pleather purse. She eventually bought it (I was dying to see where she kept her money but I didn't want to stare) and floated off. It was so incongruous, like seeing a Hasidic jew wearing nothing but pasties. I like to imagine the Muslim woman going home, throwing off her burqa, grabbing the pink plastic purse and dancing around the apartment to "Billy Jean".

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trek 's Robert Wise Dies
Robert Wise, the seven-time Oscar-winning director best known to SF fans for helming the first ... Wise died after falling ill and being rushed to the University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center.
Now this is a blog! good work! It also relates to my site...

It is a fantasy football info site. It covers fantasy football info related info. I also have some blogs within it!

Come and check it out...

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I always wonder how these people put things together. What the hell does Robert Wise and fantasy football have to do with each other? (Although I do like the built in generic compliment they always use.)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

I have a pink pleather purse, too. It's to die for...

Actually, I wonder if the woman was buying the purse for her daughter; attempting to empower her with a sense of individuality and self-worth that she herself has not been allowed.

Or your Billie Jean theory could be right, too.

2:57 PM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

I think my brain is permanently scarred at the idea of a Hasidic in nothing but pasties. Oh sweet lord...

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the food stamp lady bought her Coach bag at a thrift store? (I'm TRYING to understand!)

Would the Hasidic Jew be wearing a yarmulke along with his pasties?

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about the creepiness of those veils showing nothing but eyes. They remind me of ski masks. Ew! Granted, the women who wear them aren't TRYING to scare anyone and they have no choice in the matter. But ski masks should be ILLEGAL.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home