Thursday, September 08, 2005

Thursday in the Park with Nadia

My friend Nadia and I had a really nice time in Central Park today. We went to see Janet Cardiff's art excursion, "Her Long Black Hair", which is this audio tour/art thing that's attracting quite a crowd. There was an hour wait when I got arrived but because so many people took off (who wants to wait an hour on a beautiful day like today?) we only waited a few minutes. I wasn't sure what it was about but I love walks and Nadia tends to have her finger on the pulse of interesting things (to mangle a metaphor), so I figured I'd give it a go.

I give it an A+ (105%!) for concept, a C for execution. You're given a CD player, some headphones and a packet of pictures and you just follow the directions on a tour around the park, listening to the narrator/artist ramble on about this woman in the photos. Sounds cooler than it was. It was really fun to walk through areas I'd never seen (some I pass without noticing almost every day) and she points out some interesting stuff (there's this ancient, amazing tree that's so old that it's roots have grown directly into a boulder. Really, you have to see it to believe it.) but after awhile we both got a little bored and decided that it was more fun just to look around than listen to her go on and on.

Did you know there's a memorial grove in the Park planted for the soldiers who died in WWI? All the trees have little plaques.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted Carter said...

So how many people do you think wandered off with the free CD player?

9:48 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Yeah, that was my first thought too but you had to leave ID. They're not dumb, those artists.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I did a movie version at SF MOMA it was fricking awesome. The woman videorecorded a little story while walking through the museum when some of the exhibits were being put up. The dissonance between what was up when I was there and seeing it in progress on the video was great. We also had headphones and in the stairwell she made excellent use of the surround sound quality of them. Now I just need to remember a name or something...

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home