Friday, September 09, 2005

Oh my aching abs!

I went to my first pilates class the other day. I was a little nervous about it because it was level II ("A more advanced Pilates Class combining yoga with western calisthenics") and I tend to suck at anything with the words "yoga" or "advanced" in the description. So I called the gym to see if I was qualified and the guy interrupts me with "Honey, there's people in that shouldn't be walking, much less doing Pilates. Trust me, you'll be fine."

Dude was right - the average age was roughly 102. One woman had a walker. (Imagine the people in level 1...) I mean, bless them for doing it! They had to keep asking if the instructor could speak louder but nobody passed out or anything so I'm assuming they kept up. It wasn't a very vigorous class, just a good, solid stretch and strengthening class. I was sore the next day, but overall, fine.

Today I decided to check out the Level 1. I knew I was in trouble when I looked around and noticed that every single person in the class looked like a professional dancer. Where were all my old people?! Everyone was all flexible and stretchy and buff - and then there was me. People, it was a solid hour of ab work. Hoooo-ly fuck. Crunches with arm pumps, crunches with leg pumps, crunches with this rubber circle thing they gave us, crunches sideways, crunches with our hips in the air... I thought I might have to vomit right there in the middle of class, just to escape more freaking crunches. I think my stomach is bulletproof now. I'm still quivering.

7 Comments:

Blogger Twisted Dog said...

I'D LIKE TO POUNCE ON YOUR ABS!!!! AFTER THAT, MAYBE YOU'D LIKE TO SAVE A CAT? PLEASE?

12:28 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Here we go again...

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Umm... what in the hell was that?

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is "twisted dog"? Someone you know? I sure as hell am not about to click on the link!

How come the Level 1 Pilates is harder than the Level 2? I thought the numbers when UP with the degree of difficulty. I feel so out of it, y'know?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Level 1, my ass.

(And Twisted Dog is clearly a spammer. The word thing is supposed to prevent spammers from getting through but they've clearly figured out how to crack it. It's only a matter of time before the penis enlargers start popping up...)

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read your last sentence. Do you see the humor in it? The pun? Kind of reminds me of a line I heard years ago from some asshole thought he was being cute: "Why don't you sit on my lap and we'll talk about the first thing that pops up?" Har-de-har-har-har.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I just started a 20-minute pilates DVD this week and I wanted to cry every time I breathed the next day. All I can say is this @#$! better work.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home