Sunday, August 28, 2005

I loved it, eh?

Am I the only person who didn't know that Dartmouth is in Canada?

People, I'm back. It was a wonderful, windy ride and I had a ball. Since I knew I'd have five days of make-up blogging to do, I kept a diary of my travels. Welcome to my trip to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia! (Am I the only one who thought that Canada and Nova Scotia were two separate places?)

Day 1 - Highlights

It's 6:30 am and I'm going to a step class.

Let me repeat that - I'm on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic taking a step class - something you couldn't pay me to do on land. It's filled with ladies of a certain age, overly enthusiastic step class "professionals", and an inappropriately dressed Asian woman. One poor old guy didn't know any of the steps, so he just hopped for half an hour.

There's plenty of neon on this boat, thank God. Don't know what I'd do without it. This scene is much more sedate than my cruise to Mexico (as sedate as a 10 tons of floating booze and neon gets, that is). It's a classier crowd than the last one, which makes sense. Lots of families and older, intellectual types discussing Proust and the state of the economy and such, vs. frat boys belly flopping into the hot tub. The cruise director, a portly young Brit, attempted to get the crowd pumped by shouting "Are youuuu ready for your trip tooooo... CANADA!!!" (The applause was feeble at best. How excited can you get about the North?)

Some kids from the Bahamas swear they saw a shark by the Statue of Liberty.

I can't stop eating.

Actual stupid questions, as told by the cruise director:

"What do you do with the ice sculptures after they melt?"
"How do you get electricity? Is there a really long cord?"
"What time's the midnight buffet start?"

There's something disarming about the complete lack of self-consciousness on a ship. Now a cynic might say it's less 'lack of self-consciousness' and more 'lack of self-awareness' but compared to the non-stop pretentiousness of New York, it starts to feel refreshing. Cellulite is on full display, flabby bellies flaunted, all sorts of wiggly-jiggly abounds, usually accompanied by an ice cream cone. Excessive? Sure. Wasteful? You bet! (Hand me another pina colada, would you?)

I need a nap, simply so I'll stop eating so damn much.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, am I glad you caught and corrected Nova SCOTIA. I didn't want to be the one to tell you about that...

Wish I'd been there to see the cruise director's face when the question about the ice sculpture came up. (Sounds like one of those Jay Leno Jaywalking bits!)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

I got confused because the major bank in Nova Scotia is called "SCOCIA Bank", so I figured I'd just been spelling it wrong my whole life. Looks like they're the ones spelling it wrong. (Or maybe it's a "humor"/"humour" sort of thing...)

9:23 AM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Our cruise to Florida a couple of years ago showed me how much fun alcohol and food on a boat could be. And that cruize had a nude sunbathing deck on it, too. I had to go "walk casually" through to see who was up there. Still have nightmares about that stroll...

10:11 AM  
Blogger Dan G said...

A friend of mine is a captain of a boat in Maine. When his parents were still the captains, they told us that a woman once asked if the islands go all the way down to the bottom of the ocean.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dartmouth College is in New Hampshire

4:21 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Anonymous, you're right! But whaddya know, there's also a Dartmouth College in Canada.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home