Thursday, August 18, 2005

"I'll have a martini and a box of LEGO, please."

9-year-old New Yorkers lead very different lives.

I spent a lovely day with "Billy" and his best friend "Ivan" yesterday. Ivan is great - really artistic and smart and slightly shaggy-headed. He, like most New York children, leads a very cosmopolitan life:

(Ivan, in the elevator) "We see almost all our movies at that big film festival."

(Me) "Tribeca?"

(Ivan) "No, the one in France."

(Me) "Cannes?!"

(Ivan, mumbling) "I guess..."

He's been raised really well and isn't the least bit snobby or pretentious, which keeps my head from exploding. He also has the habit of making each sentence sound like a question? Which is really funny? But I can't help thinking that I would have never had any of these conversations at age 9.

(Ivan, out of the blue) "My brother? When he lost two of his teeth? The Tooth Fairy was really, really nice to him? She knew he wanted this video that wasn't out yet? So the Tooth Fairy got him a bootleg copy?..."

After a brief definition of the term "bootleg", it was determined that the Tooth Fairy was, indeed, a wonderous, wonderous creature.

A few hours later, Billy came charging out of his bedroom with this winner:

(Billy) "Alisha! You'll never guess what we're building with LEGO!"

(Me) "What?"

(Billy) "THE MEMORIAL TO LORD NELSON IN TRAFALGAR SQUARE!"

You know, he's right. I never would have guess that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ted Carter said...

The memorial to who in where? A nine year old? And I thought my nine year old could be pretentious! Wow.

(And just for the record, I do know who Lord Nelson is and where Trafalgar Square is. More or less...)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Somehow coming out of his mouth is seemed less pretentious and more hilarious, probably due to his manic glee.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I no longer think my kid is that smart.

9:41 PM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Laugh out loud funny. Thanks for sharing!

*goes off to teach her 6-year-old nephew British naval history*

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those children frighten me.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home