Monday, May 07, 2007

Weekend update


I had quite a lovely weekend here in NYC. On Saturday I met up with a friend at the world famous Katz's Deli (yes, the place where Sally faked her on-screen orgasm). I'd never been there, even though it's right up there with the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State as far as tourists are concerned. The place was mobbed, but if you think that stopped me from getting some matzo ball soup, you'se crazy. I love that it hasn't changed a bit since the 40's (there's still a sign hanging from the ceiling - "Send a salami to your boy in the ARMY") and even though their byzantine ordering system is confusing (walk in, get yellow ticket, figure out what you want to eat - which is the pastrami, ask equally confused tourist which is the right line for sandwiches, accidentally end up in soup line, eventually manage to find sandwich line, hand over ticket to counter guy who scribbles price, try to find french fry line, consider trying to locate beverage line but decide that banging head against wall would be better use of time, try to find table, intimidate fleeing tourists with "hungry New Yorker" gruffness, snag table, finally eat.) The food is damn good. Damn expensive ($14 for a sandwich?!) but worth the splurge. They're famous for their pastrami (which is what I recommend) with french fries, a plate of homemade pickles, and an egg cream (which, surprisingly, does not contain eggs). *A tip: If you ask the young Hispanic soup guy which one is his favorite, he might just give you a bowl for free. I'm not saying that happened to me, I'm just saying.

After that we went for ice cream at Il Laboratorio del Gelato in the bowels of the Lower East Side. It's a closet of a place with the best damn ice cream you'll ever eat. I sampled some interesting flavors (ricotta - like eating cold, whipped cheesecake; avocado - not as gross as you'd expect, very mild and sweet) but ended up playing it safe with cinnamon and dark chocolate, both quite delish.

Finished up the evening with some Spider-Man 3 which was meh at best. (As Matt put it, "Too much crying, too many villains.")

And finally, today I have a callback for another commercial. I'm playing a talking bottle of juice.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, shut UP. That pastrami sounds SO good. I used to get incredible pastrami (with swiss cheese on the most delicious Jewish rye bread) in Baltimore at a deli called Jack's. Jack's was there before I was born and well into my adulthood but alas, the last time I went back ('99), Jack's was gone. Boo hoo.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home