Monday, December 11, 2006

This one's for the ladies.

I consider myself to be a fairly low-maintenance kind of gal. Before you start reaching for your keyboard, I don't mean low-maintenance in all senses - like emotionally or physically - but, aside from a brief period in high school when I was obsessed with all things Benetton, I've never really been one of those "gotta have it" gals. I'm not an avid collector of shoes. Although I could probably tell you Allure's top mascara pick, I always buy mine at Duane Reade. I wash and reuse plastic baggies and I haven't purchased a single article of clothing at full-price in, yes, years. That said, for the past year I have absolutely coveted - COVETED - a dear friend's Coach handbag. It is a thing of beauty. I always thought designer handbags were just expensive pieces of free advertising, what with all the interlocking C's (hello Chanel) and G's (that's right, Gucci) and tacky LV's (but I forgive you for your steamer trunks, Louis. Those things are awesome) but this bag has none of that. It's simple, classic. And I wanted one. Hard. But, being someone who buys off the sale rack and is easily intimidated by salesgirls (I'm just like "Pretty Woman"!) I knew better than to set foot in a store. Not to mention the fact that Coach's prices start at $118 - for something that's not even a bag! (They call it a "pouch" which is fitting, seeing as how it's only seven inches big.) But last week changed everything. Because last week I recently received what just might be THE BEST PRESENT EVER.

That's right, kids; a gift card to Coach.

I know that I should be wrangling with my conscience over such a consumer-hungry purchase; one that costs as much as a month of health insurance. And yes, I do get all squirrelly about buying from The Gap and refuse to eat meat that doesn't come with a "died smiling, having been treated humanely" guarantee. I have absolutely no need in my life for something this ridiculously overpriced. But if you think that's going to stop me from getting myself the most expensive handbag a gift card can buy, you don't know me at all.

Anyone care to help me pick it out?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohhh I would LOVE to go help you spend that card. I get tremendous happiness when buying a new purse. TREMENDOUS. It is even greater when I am not spending my own money.
Please be sure and apprise me of all the details.

11:04 PM  
Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Although I'm not a fan of purple (go Jayhawks!), the embossed lavender suede is SO lovely.

One of these days I'll break down and give in to my weakness. Then I'll spend every day carrying that Coach bag, lying to my boyfriend of its cost.

A small price to pay for rapture. Have fun!!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best friend is absolutely wiggy about her Coach. I swear, if we were in a horrible car accident she'd check to be sure her purse was okay before feeling my wrist for a pulse. Still love her.

By the by, I like the purpe ones too. That's odd since I'm really a black or brown bag kind of girl.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna come, I wanna come!! I love Coach, though I'm a little annoyed about how they're jumping on the bandwagon by showing their logo all over the bags.

I mean, I like to know I have a Coach bag, but I don't need everyone who sees my bag to know it too. I hate logos.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home