Saturday, December 16, 2006

And the winner is...

I want you all to do a little something for me. Go to www.housingworks.org. Click on "Housing Works Thrift Shops" (on the left hand side). Click on "Shop store windows". Check out the window on the right at the 17th Street store. See the loveseat and ottoman? Yeah, I found those on the street in SoHo last week sitting next to a garbage can. I couldn't believe someone was actually throwing them out, seeing as how they were practically brand new, but after 20 minutes (and several covetous glances from passers-by) I hailed myself a cab, hoisted those puppies in the back and hauled 'em home. Don't ask me where I planned on putting an extra loveseat and ottoman; such logistics don't really fit into my motto. ("If it's free, it's for me.") Since I already have a sofa and, according to Matt, my new treasures resembled airport furniture (this coming from a man who, early in our courtship, kept all his clothes in a green plastic tub), I decided to donate my street finds to a worthy cause. I'm not saying my decision had anything to do with the fact that my husband called his entire family in order to mock me. I'm not saying that he called me a dumpster diver. Alls I will say is this - one person's "airport furniture" is another person's FRONT WINDOW DISPLAY! Granted, we don't actually get the money from the auction (it goes to housing for people with HIV and AIDS), but whatever they get from it we can claim come tax time, and mama needs all the write-offs she can get.

I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a little vindicated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come fly with me, come fly, come fly away....

Sorry hun (Baltimore lingo), I'm seeing airport too. Great find though. I'm sure someone will snap them up.

4:50 PM  
Blogger mmcwatters said...

According to the tag, it's from West Elm, c. 2005. And it looks to be in pretty good condition. I'd say you had a sweet find.

And, anyway, who cares if it looks like airport furniture. You should have asked your husband if he would like "coffee, tea, or me," or if he wanted to "fly the friendly skies." I bet he'd have had a greater appreciation for your found treasures if you put it that way.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if Matt called the whole family - but he definitely told me all about it.

And good thing he did too - now I can know about just how right you were! Well done, lady!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home