Sunday, April 16, 2006

Lemme tell you how it's done

Sorry about the lacksadaisical posting; computer went ka-blooey for a few days amd the weather's been nice. (A girl's gotta take advantage of the gloriousness before temps soar and the city starts its summer stinkfest.)

I swear, during these first few days of nice weather New Yorkers lose their freaking minds. It's like they're so thrilled not to be bundled head to toe in Polartec that they forget that they're still required to wear clothes. Which would be okay (if a bit ego mangling) if the city were populated by models, but the people wearing the least amount of clothing always seem to be the people who should think twice. I don't care if your stomach is flat as the Midwestern prairie, unless you're a toddler I don't want to see your tummy.

- Flip flops
I fully cop to committing this fashion faux pas. Last summer I wore my chocolate brown flappers up and down the avenue. Sure my feet were filthy and calloused and covered in dog piss and garbage and dirt and muddy, bacteria-laden gutter water but dammit, I was cool.

I have seen the error of my ways. Nobody's feet should ever - EVER - come that close to the streets. It's just nasty.

- Pantyhose with open-toed sandals
Tourists, I'm talking to you.

- Bare midriffs
I don't care if they're pierced or tattooed or bedazzled, see above.

- No bra
Why? Seriously, why? It isn't sexy unless you're on a catwalk, in a movie, or on a photo shoot where they can be professionally wrangled. Not only is it tacky but ladies, proper support helps keep the girls from sagging later in life. Think of the future!

(And yes, I know I could rag on frat boys with their open-air crotch grabbing and backwards baseball caps or the wannabe gangstas with their stupid baggy-ass pants (when will that trend be done?) but I'll save that for another day.)

My job here is done. For now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

What if the bra is built in to a tank top or Cami? Does that count?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

That's fine. That implies support. I'm talking wife beater tank - no liner - and B cup +.

(By the way, if anyone knows anyplace to get cute camis with support I'd love your imput.)

10:00 PM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Victoria's Secret has a ton of different tops with built in support. All different styles, some more supportive than others.

And I love wearing my flip flops in summer. I'm not quite ready to give them up.

Although -- sandals are still ok, right?

10:27 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Ok wife beater, no lining etc..that is wrong. Ugh. The visual on that one is killing me right now.

I have had success with the supportive cami at Old Navy.

I gots to have the support for many reasons, and if I don't have it I feel like I am exposing myself or something.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

KT Buff - sandals are swell. Just not with stockings. (I'll never understand that logic. If it's cold enough for stockings, it's cold enough for closed toed shoes.) And I totally understand the love of the flip flop. Just look at your feet when you come home is all I'm sayin'...

Good cami suggestions, both!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

As a guy, I'd have to say the only time you should wear a wife beater without supportive undergarments is if your chest can stand on it's own without structural support.

If it does, then I am all in favor of you wearing as tight a tank as you want. If not, then PLEASE give some reinforcement to those things and save me the visual anguish.

That goes for men and women.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home