Saturday, October 08, 2005

I want money. That's what I want.

Further evidence that (some) New Yorkers have way to damn much money.

Last night at Grand Central they were auctioning off a 2006 Lamborghini. The tickets were $1,000 a pop and 300 were sold. At a THOUSAND DOLLARS A TICKET. And it wasn't even for charity! So - what? These people all had a spare $1,000 lying around? "This thousand dollar bill is just taking up far too much room in my solid gold wallet!" I mean come ON! And it wasn't even a cool car! It was orange! Now if were a mint condition 1959 MG Roadster and I was, you know, insane then maybe I could see it, but these people seemed grubby and greedy, pocketing four hors d'oeuvres at a time and talking with their mouths full, sending bits of partially chewed salmon and spittle all over my tux jacket... Actually, I take it back. They seem exactly like the kind of people who would shell out $1,000 for a chance at a neon orange Lamborghini.

Passing hors d'oeuvres brings out the very worst in me. I think horrible, nasty, mean-spirited thoughts that I ordinarily never do (except in the subway. Awful thoughts are perfectly acceptable there) and I get really irritable and fussy and I cannot, cannot be pursuaded to laugh at stupid, inappropriate jokes (unless they are made by another miserable waiter. Then they are hilarious). I also can't disguise the look of envy/disgust that sweeps across my face every time I have to deal with the wealthy. As I removed a tray of lamb and portabella skewers from a group of overly perfumed trophy wives I heard one of them say, "Oh God, she hates me". I wanted to say, Lady, I don't hate you specifically. I hate all of you. I feel confident saying that every cater waiter feels this. Hell, I'll go out on a limb and say that every waiter feels this. It's why I feel a compulsive need to sweet talk my server whenever we go out. It drives Matt crazy but I can't help it. I want them to know that I'm on their side, that I won't inadvertently spit on them. And if I do, then I'll apologize and add a buck to their tip. I have fantasies of being wealthy enough to - just once - leave a "Ben Affleck" tip. (Remember when he tipped that poker dealer like $2,000 and J.Lo was horrified and went and took some of it back? Jennifer Garner would never do that.) Someday I just want to be able to leave a cool $200 on a $50 meal - something grand like that. That's gotta feel stellar, right?

3 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Here's hoping new employment comes your way soon.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

I totally understand your disgust. I know it makes us sound like whiny liberals when we start talking about the suffering in the world and how disgusting it is to see the filty rich in light of all those without, but it is disgusting. Plain and simple. Humans are selfish creatures. Except for us. If we had that much money, we'd all share it, right? Right? Hello?

10:45 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I feel that way and I only spent a summer waiting at Shoney's during college.

Utter Hell. Just ask Karl he'll back me up.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home