Monday, October 03, 2005

Send 'em in!

So I picked up a copy of Travel Savvy the other day. Their tagline is Lists That Matter and since I happen to get an inordinate amount of joy out of both creating and perusing other people's lists, I figured this was the magazine for me. Truth be told, I also sent in a pitch to them a few weeks ago. They were looking for freelance writers to submit their top lists as well as the name of the "expert" behind them. Well hell's bells, I'm as much as an expert on stuff as anyone, right? Shockingly, my Best Inexpensive Eats didn't hold a candle to "20 Ways To Find Passion In Argentina" or "9 Best Soccer Watching Venues" or "5 Best Telescope Hotels". (What the hell is a telescope hotel?) The choices aren't quite exotic enough to make for good daydream activity or over-the-top enough for a good giggle. I want a magazine that chronicles Stuff That Matters, like "5 Life Defining Moments" (although Vogue may have already stolen that one) or "10 Songs On Your Ipod That Would Incite Ridicule" (that would be a toss-up between "Complicated" by Avril Levigne or "Don't Stop Believing") or "Alisha's Favorite Writing Utensils" (Le Pen or Pilot pen's G5). I would invite other people to send in their lists too. People love writing lists! I figure if Found Magazine can make a go of it photocopying things that people find on the street, a magazine of lists can't be that crazy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dan G said...

At this very moment, you've got maybe eight identical sets of links at your site, and none of them link to your husband's actual site. In case you needed to know...

11:44 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Spectacular list idea Dan! Thanks!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stuff I'm selling for a dollar:
Books! (sedaris, Middlesex, the Corroections..annie Liebowitz art book)
pet carrier ( for a fatty or a dog)
Vases- mikasa, retro, and from a man I had an affair with once.
wall clock
picture frames (with or without photo of my last relationship)
mason jars-set of 6 or set of 4--It's canning season!
a canon bubble jet printer that STILL WORKS GREAT after 8 years! or he printer that wouldn't die.
cloth/linen napkins
dust buster
a quilt
contact stefzad@earthlink.net

3:18 PM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Top Ten Lists I Intend To Write Some Day

10. List of People Appearing Most Frequently on Spouses' "Sleep With for Free" Lists

9. List of One Hit Wonders Who Should NEVER Get Back Together

8. List of Reasons Not to Defect to Canada

7. List of Interesting Things to do with Belly-Button Lint

6. List of Phrases Guaranteed to Get You Killed at the Republican National Convention

5. List of Lists of People Obsessed with Lists

4. List Practical Uses for Chihuahuas

3. List of Ways to Avoid Work by Making Lists

2. List of Lispers who Limp

1. List of Best Ways to Support Your Friends Through Humor

5:44 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Stef's got some decent stuff for sale, should anyone be interested. (I might want to take a gander at the Annie Liebowitz book...)

I'm totally stealing the "People Most Frequently Appearing On Spouses 'Sleep With For Free' List" Ted. You heard it here first.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Alanis Morrisette. She was on both my list and Kayla's last time I checked. I still say the kiss between her and Sara Jessica Parker on Sex in the City is the best five seconds in television history.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home