Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A 360 on the learning curve

First off, let me say this: Nerves? They are a bitch.

The "honey wagons" were parked on 64th and Madison. I was immediately greeted by the costumer and the first AD and introduced to Brian, my assistant for the day. I got changed (in my trailer) and Brian (my assistant) walked me over to the zoo where they were finishing up some shots with Stephanie March. (She came over and introduced herself. Yes, she's gorgeous.) Then we got in a van and headed over to our set, this swank office building overlooking The Plaza. (By the way, the set dressing on SVU is incredible! They'd asked the guy playing my boss for personal photos and all around his office were things they'd made with them. They’d gone so far as to superimpose a uniform and add him to military photos, complete with medals and a certificate of honorable discharge. All that stuff must've taken hours and nobody will ever even see it!)

Now, I’ve done commercials. I’ve done the soaps. I thought I knew my way around a camera... Yeah, I fucked up so many takes. (It’s all so technical! Hold the door here so you don’t block this. Stand to the right so you don’t block that. All the stuff! I've mostly just stood in place in commercials!) I mean, who knew you need to pause before saying your line? (In case they need to edit.) All of this meant take after take (after take after take) which meant that I spent most of the day feeling like a big pile of stink. But luckily I was in the scene with Diane Neil (*Neal, whatever) who is, officially, my new girl crush. She was so funny and cool and made me feel like everything I did was great. She told me stories about how, when she booked the job, she had diarrhea for two days. (And thought she might shit herself during the shoot, she was so nervous.) She yakked on the couch about the calls she gets from one of the producers who loves to tell her that she’s becoming “so fat. SO fat. MORBIDLY OBESE.”, all while eating Combos and a Mounds bar from the craft services table. Her relaxation calmed my ass down (it also helped that she took the blame for all my mistakes) and helped salvage my special day. I think I’m a little in love.

After the shoot was over, the crew announced the names of people wrapping for the day (when my name was called Diane started cheering really loud. Again, love.) then the director came up and gave me a kiss and said how great I did. There was much hugging and back slapping from the crew... Imagine the wrap parties!

Then I went back to my trailer and stole my name off the door.

Final highlights:

- Have I mentioned my trailer?

- I was referred to as "First Team". (crew code for principal/lead. I've always been Second Team or Background. First Team feels way cooler.)

- I had a stand-in! A STAND-IN!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan G said...

I'm no Kung Fu master or anything, but isn't Diane's last name Neal? I'm just sayin'.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am appropriately impressed. Can I assume you will let us know when the episode will air?

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home