Thursday, May 31, 2007


Hot! HOOOOOT! So hot! That damn global warming is behind this, right?

This weekend I finally managed to get around to planting my balcony garden. I love going to the giant farmer's market and picking out flowers, grabbing a five pound bag of organic potting soil from the worm dealers (how tempted am I to learn how to compost? How tempted?) and spending the day up to my armpits (well, wrists) in dirt.

Alas, while I've been blessed with many things (a sense of humor, a nice head of hair), a green thumb... not so much. In my defense, I think it has less to do with me (and my love of overwatering) and more to do with the fact that my balcony is in the path of the world's strongest windtunnel. No matter how much love and attention I give my little flower buds, nothing can withstand the gale. A few weeks ago Matt bought me a tree. It's a hearty little bugger, built to handle the elements. Needless to say, the poor thing was defeated within days.

So this year, I'm trying something a little different: LETTUCE

Holy guacamole, I'm a farmer, folks! I'm not saying I got a little overzealous with my purchase, but, uh, I got me a lot of lettuce. And herbs! I also bought some herbs! (And lettuce. Oh my God, so much lettuce.)

Who's up for a salad?

1 Comments:

Blogger Woman with a Hatchet said...

Something to try to tame the wind tunnel, in case you haven't already, would be to pick up a few pieces of lattice and put them into long, low planter boxes. That should slow the air down, but not stop it altogether.

Then, you might even be able to grow some sort of climbing vine up the trellises themselves giving you a bit more green. And the other plants may have a chance to survive.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home