Monday, April 16, 2007


I am ready for spring. I am ready for daffodils and cute dresses and sandals and little jackets that you don't really need but look adorable in anyway and sitting in outdoor cafes and buying ice cream from the Mr. Softee truck (Weight Watchers be damned) and beginning my balcony garden and strawberries at the farmers market...

Instead, I get rain. So much rain. Oh man, so much rain. And cold! It's still cold! Seriously, what gives, Nature?

Anyway, all this rain has given me time to mull over the big decisions and... I've decided to buy a new pair of summer shoes. Normally this is not a topic for discussion but I'm feeling a little awkward about this purchase. Now I love me some cute little flimsy sandals, but with my big ol' bunion-y feet I need something comfortable and durable. Something that can handle the New York City streets.

Something, maybe, like Birkenstocks.

I KNOW! I KNOW! Birkenstocks are the start of a very slippery slope! You think you're simply purchasing a comfortable shoe and the next thing you know, you're wearing sweatpants and mom jeans. I DON'T WANT TO WEAR SWEATPANTS AND MOM JEANS! But... are they sort of cute? The new styles? Can they be considered retro-hip? What's the concensus?

4 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

The birkenstocks pictured are ones that I would consider buying and as you know that I am the queen of all that is hip and non-motherly surely you need seek no further advice.

Oh how I make myself laugh sometimes.

I ain't got the mom jeans...but I will admit to busting ot the sweats only on weekends when I am going to be at home. That doesn't make me a complete loser yet right???

Have you checked out the new Amazon.com shoe thing? Zillions of shoes. Tons of sandals. Lots of sale. Could be cool if you are ok with ordering shoes before trying them on. I personally am not that brave. It's a nice idea though.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

birkenstocks aren't that comfortable when trudging city streets.
I have a pair of clogs and they hurt the bone on top and they hurt when they come up and whack your heel in the back.
ask around about this model. MIIne are reserved for last minute trips to the deli.
But they do last. I've had mine since 1992

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Stefanie. Birkenstocks are not exactly the ideal shoe if you're doing lots of walking, especially on hard concrete surfaces like city sidewalks and especially for someone who walks as fast as you do. They ARE comfortable, though, for NORMAL walking conditions. That style you pictured is cute, although I personally couldn't wear them because of the thong. I have bunches of Birkies -- it's really the only brand of shoe I can wear comfortably because I have a screwed up big toe. They're well worth the money because they really hold up well. I'm no spring chicken, but I hope I'm not pegged as an old bat because I wear them. (I don't wear "mom jeans" -- what are they? -- and only wear sweats around the house at night before I go to bed.)

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a suggestion. (I e-mailed it to you, also, but in case you don't check that...) Teva makes a sandal called the Ola which you might find attractive. It might be more suited for trekking around the city since it's an "all-terrain" shoe. Go to their website (I'm sure they have one -- doesn't everybody?) or try Sahalie.com (it's a catalog for outdoorsy people but they have a lot of neat stuff).

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home