Saturday, February 03, 2007

So an essay I wrote was just rejected by The New Yorker. While this comes as a surprise to exactly nobody, I was awfully impressed by the letter. Yes it was a form letter, but damn hell if it wasn't the nicest form letter I've ever read.

"Dear Ms. McKinney,

We're sorry to say that your piece isn't right for us, despite its evident merit. Thank you for allowing us to consider your work.

Best regards,
The Talk Dept."

Because my ego is big (yet surprisingly fragile) I'm choosing to believe that not every person gets this particular form letter, like maybe the really crappy applicants just get "your piece isn't write for us, period". But seriously, can we make every rejection is this awesome? Because that would be really awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home