Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Time to face facts

Spent a lovely Saturday with a good friend in Brooklyn last weekend. It shames me how infrequently I "cross the pond", as it were. Truth be told, I'd never actually been to Williamsburg - which means nothing to those of you outside of NYC, I know. See, Williamsburg is this total hipster enclave, teeming with quirky shops selling $40 onesies and adorable handmade dresses. In other words, the kind of place that's right up Ali's alley. But Brooklyn always seems so foreign. Its streets have names instead of numbers which is very confusing to someone used Manhattan's grid system (I get lost easily). People in Brooklyn live in warehouses and make things like art. Professionally. The place is a little intimidating.

Here's the other thing about Brooklyn - its residents make you feel really, really old.

Friends, it's time to face the facts: I am no longer hip. There was a brief period in 2000 when I think maybe I was (I had leather pants) but walking around, seeing all the pretty little twenty-somethings with their nutritionist-meets-part-time-model hotness and ubiquitous lower back tats, it makes a gal feel a touch decrepit.

That said, it's worth a visit if only to check out CB I Hate Perfume. I, too, hate perfume (traditional perfume, at least) so this place was a relief. It was founded by the guy who created the Demeter line (the perfumes that smell like Mimosa and Gin Fizz) so the scents are definitely untraditional. I highly recommend reading his descriptions on the website. In addition to being a darn good perfumer, he's also a hell of a writer. (I think I almost like his descriptions better than his perfumes, but don't tell him that.)

FYI, if you've recently come into money and are looking for something for a newly pregnant redheaded friend, his Memory of Kindness is awfully delish. (Did I just say "awfully delish"? I am so not hip...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home