Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Bring on the crazies.

This whole hunt for enlightenment, "bigger picture" thing is getting me down, man. Needless to say, the first thing to go was the vegetarianism. I had a valiant four days but then it all went down the crapper with some free-range chicken and pasta salad. My plan was to be solidly vegetarian - plus fish. (Fish is a vegetable. As is bacon.) But then I got to talking with a chef who worked at Angelica Kitchen (uber-veg, for those out of the city). She was vegan for awhile but started to get woozy so she tried to introduce fish into her diet, but then she discovered that the mercury levels are getting so high that it's almost better to eat free-range, organic meat. (Free-range and organic are two different things. Just because they're fed organic feed doesn't mean the get to walk around, and vice-versa.) For women of childbearing years, they say ("they" that declare these things) that you should only eat fish - particularly canned tuna or salmon - once every two weeks. And if you're trying to get pregnant you're supposed to stop eating fish for six months because that's how long it takes for mercury to leave your system. Plus there's the significant problem of overfishing. At the rate we're going several species will be depleted, making life even tougher for fishermen and screwing up the ecosystem something fierce. So now I've settled on a mostly vegetarian diet supplemented with free-range, organic dairy and chicken. (I still can't eat cow. I'm sure it hurts chickens to kill them but cows bother me more. I'm convinced that because they have bigger brains they register more pain.) But then I read an article in Elle, of all places, written by their food writer. She was talking about the trend in restaurants toward exotic (read: icky) dishes. Call it the Mario Batali factor, but more and more restaurants are serving innerds. Beef cheek ravioli, coxcombs, liver and heart, brains... Sweetbreads creep me out the most. I always thought sweetbreads were the balls, but it's the thyroid. You're eating the stress hormone of the animal. The stress hormone of an animal that was undoubtedly incredibly stressed at the time of the kill. Now I don't eat these things - I doubt any of you do - but the interview with Mario Batali was very interesting. His point is that if you're going to kill an animal, you should use as much of it as possible. Why is the flank more appealing than the tongue? He pointed out that in the wild, animals always eat the brain and the tongue first because that's the tastiest and most nourishing part. While intellectually I agree, I can't get past the gross-out factor. But why can I justify not eating veal, duck, or rabbit because A: they're babies and B: they're cute, but I can scarf down the adult with only moderate pangs of guilt? I know that if everyone on the planet became vegetarian we'd have a serious animal overpopulation problem (see what happens to deer in the wild) but I can't, can't, can't eat another mouthful of tofu "egg" salad! I've also noticed that many of my female friends are contemplating vegetarianism, but I've never heard any men debating it. Curious.

And then there's God. Or more specifically, Jesus. Still mulling over those pesky issues. For some reason I have very little problem with the concept of God but Jesus is trickier for me. Probably because he was human and therefore fallable (which is a good thing) but I feel like I get yelled at a lot over him. (Him? WHEN DO YOU CAPITALIZE?!) The whole "JE-sus died for you!" stuff makes me so grumpy. If the idea is that we're all children of God, a part of God as it were, if God is inside each and every one of us, then why do we have to feel so damned guilty about everything? And church! While I'm really twitchy to go back - craving it, really - it almost makes me feel more separate, like it's a barrier between God and man. (Sorry for all the italics. I just got done reading Franny & Zooey.) Still, I'm going back. I'll be home for two weeks starting Saturday (clear your schedules, kids!) and am thinking of going to the Episcopalian church there. (The one across from the Lutheran church.) They used to put crosses out for every soldier that died in the war but there were so many that now they have one really big cross. That amount of ballsiness is encouraging.

Don't get me started on the ant killer I just bought. That's a post for another day.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ted Carter said...

Okay, Alisha, time to stop hugging that tree and think like a rational human being. Humans are naturally meat eaters. End of story. You can choose to eat or not eat whatever you want, but don't listen to all those nuts telling you you CAN'T eat this or that. No one knows nearly as much as they pretend to when it comes to nutrition. So, eat what sounds good to you and/or what is worth the supposed risks involved, and let all those who believe they have all the answers go jump off a cliff into a giant bowl of tofu.

As for God and Jesus, here is my two cents worth; divine intervention or not, the Bible was written by men with views of the world VASTLY different than our own. Remember that women were consider inferior to men, slavery was more than accepted, and cutting off your hand was a reasonable punishment for theft.

Second, the authors of the Bible, and Jesus himself, probably intended for the whole thing to teach lessons rather than be 100% historically and factually accurate. Many seem to have lost this point over the years.

So, is Jesus the Son of God like all the churches insist? Maybe, maybe not. My question is, "Does it matter?" Are his teachings any less valuable if he's not? And which really is more important; what he was trying to teach the people who followed him, or how he did that neat wine-from-water trick?

Don't get lost in the dogma. Find what from the teachings is useful to you and then just tolerate the rest.

So sayeth Ted the Agnostic.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help you with your religious quandary, mainly because I actively made a decision in your infancy to avoid any contact with organized religion. However, your upcoming trip to Kansas will answer any question you may have regarding heaven/hell, well, actually just hell. Yes, there is one - the temperature in Kansas this weekend will be 101. Add the humidity, and you've got the heat index of - H-E-L-L, e.g., Kansas in the summer=HELL.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Dan G said...

Even liberal churches have a focus on Jesus. He is, after all, the Christ in Christianity. I wouldn't expect the Episopal church in Topeka (across from the Lutheran Church where my dad was a minister, by the way) to be dogmatically different from the one you went to in New York. Episcopalians are Episcopalians everywhere. Except in Britain, where they're Anglicans.

You have followed my previous advice about the Church of Christ OR the Quaker meetings, have you? Dammit, Alisha, I try so hard...

As for the food, listen to your body. Chicken, by the way, has very low protein in comparison to fish and other meats, so I'd consider supplementing your chicken with other sources of protein. Oh, and I have a friend who won't eat eggs because he can't get over the fact that it's a chicken's period.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Eggs are a chicken's PERIOD?! Ohgod,ohgod,ohgod.

I'm checking on the other churches, I'm checking on them.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Yay Alisha is coming home! If your schedule permits we would like to have you over for dinner. We will serve pasta with optional chicken, and you can even say grace before the meal.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Dude, I LOVE pasta with optional chicken!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

And you can come over to our house and play spin the 4-year-old.

Sometimes we even blindfold him.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A mention of tofu "egg" salad, huh? A negative mention, I might add. You better watch it lady, if my mom finds out there will be vegetarian hell* to pay.

*Vegetarian Hell, by the way, is where a bunch of nut-job veggies, let's call them "Jesus Carrots," sit around you whilst you nibble on your chicken fillet, hypocritically screaming at you about what an injustice you are doing to mother Gaea as they are purchasing brand new leather clogs.

Not that I, personally, know any of these so-called "Jesus Carrots" of course.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home