Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Why does it bother me so?

I was watching the Today show yesterday while catsitting (up at 6:30 am. Those cats had better f-ing love me) and there was a segment about a woman who had given birth thirteen years after freezing her eggs. The baby was finally born after it had been frozen for THIRTEEN YEARS. While that's certainly crazy (and makes you wonder if the child will suffer any ramifications from being frozen that long - I mean, everything goes bad eventually, even in the fridge) what really got me is that, during those thirteen years:
- she had five other children
- had invitro several more times, all of which failed
- yet insisted that "God" wanted her to have this baby

Apparently God did, I guess. But I couldn't help thinking that there are countless orphaned children out there, desperate for adoption. These people have FIVE other children, they've easily spent $80,000 on failed attempts, yet they keep insisting that God wanted this. I don't want to follow in China's footsteps and insist that people only have one child but it just seemed so greedy. I'm not sure why I'm so bothered by it - I mean it's not like they were spending the money on blow... I think it was the God stuff. I'm on a bit of a spiritual quest myself right now and whenever anyone tries to insist that God wants things a certain way I start to feel all ooged out. That, combined with this creepy frozen kid (it looked a little freezer burned, I swear)... I don't know. I just don't know.

There was also a woman who gave birth to a THIRTEEN POUND baby. They call it The Big Enchilada or something equally retarded. Thirteen pounds. Something's up with this, I just haven't put my finger on it yet.

What I do know is that a person does not need a limited edition toilet. I was catering a nightmare job at the palatial townhome of the North American President of Goldman-Sachs last night. I've worked there before and each time I vow never to do it again. It's a six-story home (seven, if you count the double rooftop garden) with an elevator and marble floors and more art than some museums. (The house is rumored to have cost $10 million.) They have the largest Picasso I've ever seen. It's from his blue period and there are fewer than 100 in the world. They have two Rodin sculptures, a Chagall, a Toulouse-Lautrec, a Kandinski, several Monet sketches - and those were only the ones I recognized. They have a live-in chef (needless to say) who used to work for a family that owns a 10,000 square foot house in the Hamptons. That translates to 30 bedrooms, 40 baths, for those in the know. While the Goldman-Sachs' place doesn't touch that, it does have a regulation size basketball court in the basement next to the wine cellar. And a limited edition toilet. I know because I used it. It's located in one of their numerous guest baths; the seat is made of some kind of polished wood and has little brass handles on the side of the lid so you don't have to actually touch it. There's also a tiny brass plate on the lid engraved with "____ & ____ of Jermyn Street" and the toilet's edition number.

But did they tip? Not a chance.

3 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I hear ya on this one. Seems to me if extraordinary methods were required to begat the child then perhaps God was sending a different message.

As for the other...I can't even wrap my head around the concept of such opulence.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Ted Carter said...

"God wanted it."

I am agnostic, and have been for years, simply because I don't think I've experienced enough to decide either way. From this perspective, I think it is terribly, terribly arrogant for people to think they KNOW what God wants. I feel the same way about all the fundamentalists Xians indicating that they know EXACTLY how we are supposed to act and be according to God. If I were God, I'd be pretty ticked off at the lot of them.

As for opulence - I think it is terribly, terribly wasteful. Think about all that could have been done with that money. Very sad.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Dan G said...

Come on. We all want limited-edition crappers for our sensitive, sensitive bums.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home