Tuesday, May 10, 2005

ME WANT-UM MEAT!

I was down in Chinatown today and walked past one of those meat-on-a-stick carts that live on every corner. They're all pretty much the same - with names like Mustafa's Gyros and Shwarma Kart selling skewers of questionable meat to neighborhood laborers and slumming suits - but this particular one caught my eye. Perhaps it was the unbridled use of color or the plastic flower leis that did it. Or maybe it was the name, spelled out in silver glitter graffiti:

FROM ATLANTIS,
WITH LOVE

Looking back, I think that it was the worker dressed head-to-toe like an American Indian that really grabbed me. I didn't see if he had a tomahawk but I'm pretty sure I saw a tear roll down his cheek while he stared at the garbage collecting on the street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home